Almost everyone has smartphones these days and everyone uses them to take videos all over the place. Despite the technology behind these phones, they just do not have the juice required when it comes to what musicians (singers in our case) need to produce – high quality audio/video.
Don’t you know that there is an Audio/Video Camera perfect for Musicians? I never heard of such a thing until I saw the Zoom Q2n-4K. I’m pretty impressed with the superior audio of this device, designed for musicians in mind. That includes us, singers, for recording our singing for Facebook and YouTube uploads.
- Price Range: $199.99 as of this writing
- Cheapest place to buy: Amazon
- Camera: 150-degree wide angle lens
- Features a 5 field of view (FOV)
- Resolution: up to 4K/30P HD video
- HDR Technology
- Has lighting scenes with 12 presets and an auto selector
- Built-in microphones that can record up to 24-bit or 96kHz
As you can see, this device is built for two things: Quality video and audio—both of which are technologies that require a lot of expertise and investment to achieve.
Zoom Q2-4K – What is it?
Zoom has been known for its innovative high quality and unique products and this particular product is an evolved version of its predecessors, the Zoom Q2. Simply put, it is a portable digital camera that records videos with amazing quality audio.
So why bother if you already have an iPhone?
The reason this product is a game changer is that it records on a 4K resolution with superior built-in X/Y high-quality microphone that can capture sound with beautiful stereo imaging. What that means is it records loud sounds without any distortion.
It is also standalone audio (audio only) recorder if you prefer, by turning off the video feature of the camera. It has elements that a smartphone does not have, not in terms of the existence of the technology, but in terms of the quality of the technology. Your phone has a camera and can record audio, but not at this scale.
The product is small and will fit on your palm. But do not let its size fool you. It is capable of capturing rehearsals and stage performances delivering maximum performance on the go.
Recording Audio and Video – Who is it for?
Who needs this?
Anyone can use it as a regular video recorder, but it was built mainly for musicians, including singers like us, who want to take their singing career to a whole new level. As you know, you can amass a following if you can broadcast your performances in platforms like Facebook and YouTube, and this is perfect for this purpose.
The problem is that poor audio-video quality will blur your talents. As a result, you will alienate your fans instead of convincing them to watch more of what you have to offer. This product solves that problem. It is a great tool for serious musicians who want to share their talents in the world especially when you’re into VLOGs (vlogging).
The Device – How does it compare to others?
First off, with the power that it has, it is affordable compared to other products. Let us take a look at its benefits and features.
- The camera has a wide-angle F2.8 lens.
- Has a one-touch record button
- It has a digital zoom.
- Has an automatic exposure adjustment so lighting conditions will not be a major concern while you are filming.
- It records in MOV format which is a video format that is recognized by almost all video-players out there.
- Captures video at 4K resolution and you can choose between 720p and 1080p.
- There are five fields of view that you can choose from. A field of view is the angle of the way the camera “sees”. It is like what the human eyes see. You can make the view wider or narrower—your choice. In other words, you can focus on a whole group or just an individual performer.
- It has 12 preset lighting conditions that you can toggle. You can make your video lighter or darker.
- Can be used as a USB microphone that connects to Window and Mac computers for music streaming or live streaming Facebook, YouTube, etc.
If you buy other devices that have this power, you need to shell out hundreds to even thousands of dollars. And if you purchase recording accessories for your smartphone, you need to buy a separate microphone and a separate high-resolution camera. A microphone can cost upwards of $30, with the really good ones at the $150 range.
Then you need to spend another $150 and up for an external camera.
Verdict – Is it worth it?
The price is not bad for what you get from it. An overall superior device for capturing as close to the real thing in terms of video/audio quality.
For about $199, you just bought for yourself a portable studio! You can mount the device on a tripod so you can adjust the height, you can take it anywhere with you, which is a good thing because you can shoot a music video anywhere without lugging expensive and heavy equipment. If you want to learn more about this product, click here.
So, whether you want to record in your room, the beach, or in more exotic places, your recording crew is now something that fits in your pocket.
Let me know what you think of this device. Please leave a comment or question down below and like/share to someone that can benefit from it.
Thank you for stopping by.